Thank you to all who supported the Raise the Rates 2016 Welfare Food Challenge. Those of us who participated in the Challenge learned first hand of the harsh experience of people in our province who are having to survive on the current social assistance rates. Eating on $18 week is extremely cruel.
Now that the Challenge is over, let’s funnel the energy and enthusiasm into action.
Here are some suggestions:
- Ask people to sign our online petition.
- Write to your member of the Legislative Assembly, find their contact here, and Premier Christy Clark and Leader of the Opposition John Horgan saying welfare needs to raise now by hundreds of dollars a month.
- Go to the ‘Take Action’ section of our website (https://welfarefoodchallenge.org/take-action/), and do some of the suggested actions.
- Tell people about our new campaign, called We Can’t Afford Poverty. We Can’t Afford Poverty is an arts-based campaign that is aiming to keep poverty and homelessness at the forefront of the coming election campaign. By signing onto our mailing list, people will be tapped into Raise the Rates’ action campaign as we move towards the election.
- Donate the money saved on food purchases this week to Raise the Ratesto help support and broaden our campaign efforts. Paste this link into your browser for the online donation form: https://www.gifttool.com/donations/Donate?ID=2022&AID=4470. The BC Poverty Reduction Coalition will pass on the money to Raise the Rates as we don’t have an online form.
Thank you for helping to raise the rates and end poverty in BC.